Thursday, October 2, 2008

A Light in the Heart of Darkness


Although it still seems to me to be an unnecessarily difficult reading, I've come towards an understanding behind Joseph Conrad's methods in writing the Heart of Darkness. After an enlightening discussion amongst my peers it made me think deeper into the meanings in the book. The storyline, although still difficult to interpret, becomes more acceptable and makes an effort to value the detail of the author.
Yet again, the character of Marlow was highlighted in my mind throughout the reading. His thoughts and actions made a possible distinguishable personification of how Conrad may have really felt. There are moments in the story where it seems as if his talking in a way that feels harsh and inhumane, but after a second glance of the situation and rereading his thoughts, the true meanings in his words become a bit more apparent.
My most recognizable quote thoughout the book goes as follows.
"...but these men could by no stretch of imagination be called enemies. They were called criminals, and the outraged law, like the bursting shells, had come to them, an insoluble mystery from the sea....This was simple prudence, white men being so much alike at a distance that he could not tell who I might be. He was speedily reassured, and with a large, white, rascally grin, and a glance at his charge, seemed to take me into partnership in his exalted trust. After all, I also was a part of the great cause of these high and just proceedings."








1 comment:

Peter Larr said...

Good quote at the end, I finally picked up that Conrad is referring to "the law" as European views coming in and holding the country hostage.