Thursday, November 20, 2008

Johnny Mad Dog


Emmanuel Dongala's Johnny Mad Dog is an extraordinary novel that displays truth in the most (To me) fantasized yet blunt way. The detail within each character's story throughout the novel completely intensifies every page in the book. Some situations were given so much detail and reality that it made me feel as though I were there in the midst of the action.


Tales of war, rape, power, greed, rebellion, just name off any scenario we've discussed in class that has a focus on Africa after colonialism and you will be sure to find an situation in this novel that can touch on it (from the lightest of modesty to the heaviest of heartache!) Even newer issues arise with the development of child soldiers' role in the occurrences that have taken place in Africa after colonialism.


Over all, this is a great read that has truly kept me captivated completely throughout my entire course of reading. I would highly recommend this novel to not only those who have concern about the issues in Africa, but to everyone who has the opportunity to explore this book.

1 comment:

Katthoms said...

I agree. this book was super powerful and kept me reading. Its crazy to think that Johnny was only 16 , and Lao was about the same age. Imagine going through everything they did, but only being a young teen..