Thursday, September 18, 2008

King Leopold's Ghost (and where I hope it may be!)

Throughout the reading of "King Leopold's Ghost," several emotions manifested within me. Anger, disgust, hatred, but most of all sorrow. I know I am supposed to elaborate on what I've read exactly within the first hundred pages of the book, yet with me being of African decent and of a sound mind tempered with a heavy heart, can only think of how sad this story is.

Leopold II of Belgium, being just one of a number of attributing factors to the depletion of a rich and beautiful land, struck me as a cold and heartless man. Blinded so much by his own greed and ambition, that he can't see the very injustices he has orchestrated. To me, he is simply a thief, taking what he as no right to possess in order to better himself. Leopold will forever be known as a tyrant, at least in my eyes.

Not to get to far off subject concerning the novel, I was amazed within the first few pages. The actual ideas these men had of what abides in Africa astounded me. Giant elephant-eating birds (Roc), one legged, three faced, lion headed humans, or being capable of covering their heads with their feet.

Many would find that humorous that men could have such wild imaginations, but I just found it demeaning and ignorant. As the book goes on my thoughts begin to take a true form, and my assumptions become more than just a shell of my own ignorance. Maybe they still are, but whose foolishness is more tolerable? Hopefully those who choose to judge my calculations search themselves and come to their own conclusion. Maybe then you could known what I mean.

1 comment:

Allen Webb said...

I agree with you about the sense of sorrow in reading this book. It also makes me angry. I want to know the past, but I don't want to dwell on it. I want to move into the present and learn how to act. Now.